Give your kids, or friends a huge smile with these loaded tater tots recipe with fried chicken, tomatoes, olives, jalapeños, and green onions!
If there is one thing we love doing at home, it’s making one big, single dish that all of us can dig into. It sort of brings everyone together to enjoy all of the same great flavors, and there’s nothing like hearing those “Mmmmms” after taking a big bite of something I’ve prepared. I also love doing it because they’re quick to prepare, and cleanup is always easy, giving me a lot more time to focus on what’s important – my family.
Because fall is around the corner, and maybe, more importantly, football season is here, I was inspired to make this recipe with Chicken, Cheese Sauce, Peppers, and Olives because it seemed like an easy, fun dish that everyone would love. My idea of a quality meal is something fun to eat, with the family enjoying one another…and with some sort of football game on in the background!
How to Make Them
These all start with well tater tots of course. These are simply plain but there are some others out there that are packed with sour cream and chives. This part my friend, is up to you on how flavorful you want this to be.
To help take these to another level I decided to add on some fried chicken. These little chicken snacks are loaded with flavor, super easy to heat up in the oven and my daughter is obsessed with them, no joke. Needless to say, both tater tots and chicken tender nuggets are a family favorite, as they’re always on hand and always available, since they are conveniently frozen!
This recipe also allows me to sneak a few veggies in there like tomatoes and olives. It’s always important to me, even when having a fun meal like this, to try and get all of those staple food groups in there, to ensure we are eating as well as we can. You can absolutely add on other toppings if you like as there is no need to follow my version. The point is to make it just how you and your family would love it!
Another big part of this is the cheese sauce. You could also use barbecue sauce but I thought a cheese sauce would be really good because it brings me to make to my grade school cafeteria days. A homemade cheese sauce is just a roux, milk and cheese, that’s it! I like to serve it on the side of these loaded tater tots cause I like to dip ’em up!
Last but not least you know I had to sneak sup crispy bacon all over this because dude it is so good!
If you are looking for a fun, easy recipe during the week or on a football weekend to share with your family, then this is it. You can always stock your freezer with the tater tots and chicken nugget tenders and have them ready to go whenever you feel like making this recipe, which is awesome because it’s so simple and convenient (not to mention delicious!).
Loaded Tater Tots Recipe
- 15 ounce bag of heated Alexia Tater Tots
- ½ bag of heated Tyson Chicken Anytizers roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 8 ounces of shredded American cheese
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- ½ cup of sliced black olives
- ½ cup of diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup of sliced jalapeños
- ¼ cup of sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons of chopped crispy cooked bacon optional
- For the Cheese Sauce: In a medium-sized pot on medium heat add in the butter and melt. Next, whisk in the flour and combine. Pour in the milk while continuing to whisk and turn the heat to high until it the sauce becomes thick.
- Finish the sauce by whisking in the shredded cheddar cheese. Keep warm.
- To Plate: Place the tater tots in a bowl and pour on the cheese sauce. Next layer on the chopped chicken, drizzle of sour cream, olives, tomatoes, jalapeños, green onions, and optional crispy bacon.