Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published January 4, 2016. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Every year I promise to eat a little better and I suppose this Lentil and Sweet Potato Chili Recipe will help kick things off! It’s not only delicious it’s super comforting during those long and cold winter days!
It all starts with the sweet potatoes. Now you can certainly leave the peel on the sweets, which I did in about half of the potatoes and if not peel away!
Next, be sure to roast up those vegetables in this Lentil and Sweet Potato Chili Recipe nice and good so you can help bring out all of those natural sugars that lies within each vegetable. From there, pour in your Hunt’s tomatoes and let it stew over low heat.
I always say that soup tastes better the next day, and the same rings true for this Lentil and Sweet Potato Chili Recipe. Over night all of the flavors have time to come out and infuse into everything else, so there ya go :-). You should definitely check out my chicken and wild rice soup as well, it’s amazing.
I simply garnished with some avocado, shredded Colby Jack cheese and green onions. Of course you can splurge on toppings and add on sour cream, onions, you name it!
Lentil and Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 1 seeded and small diced red bell pepper
- 2 seeded and small diced poblano peppers
- two 28 ounce cans of Hunt’s® Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- two 16 ounce cans of chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups of lentils
- 3 quarts of vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of dry oregano
- 2 large diced large sweet potatoes
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 12 small dinner rolls, centers cut out and removed
- Optional Garnishes: shredded Colby jack cheese, diced avocado, sliced green onions, fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large pot on high heat add in the olive oil and sauté the onions and peppers for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Next add in the tomatoes, chickpeas, lentils, vegetable stock, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 45 minutes over medium heat or until the lentils are tender.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes or until they are tender.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve hot with optional garnished inside of dinner rolls.