When I think of backyard BBQ’s my mind immediately goes to PIE and now you can learn how to make lemon pie with berries! I know, I know I’m at a bbq and I should be looking for all the of ribs and smoked pork butt, but man I want dessert and I may want it first! I tried to twist up the old tart version to make this Lemon Curd Pie Recipe with Berries and it’s just as good, just a different name and shape. The great thing about this pie is it is pretty easy to make and a nice change from the traditional blueberries or apple pies of the world. Definitely try this one out!
and more PIE!
- 2 cups of flour plus more
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 4 ounces of cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 whole egg
- ¾ teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 to 6 ounces of ice cold water
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- zest of 1 whole lemon
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 to 1½ sticks of cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 3 cups of assorted fresh berries
- For the Lemon Curd: In a large metal bowl add in the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar and whisk it over a pot of simmering water.
- Whisk it until it becomes very thick to make a curd. Once it is thick remove it from the heat and whisk in the cold butter. Pour the curd from the metal bowl into another container and place it into the refrigerator overnight.
- For the Crust: In a food processor add in the flour, sugar, vanilla and butter and pulse a few times until the butter is the size of rice.
- Next, add in the egg and pulse while slowly drizzling in the water until just combined.
- After it's combined roll out the dough on a flour dusted surface until it is about an eighth of an inch thick and place it over a standard pie pan and dock it using a knife or fork.
- Next, cut out a circle round from parchment paper and place it on the dough followed up with 2 cups of dry beans.
- Put the pan in the oven on 375° for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Once cool and the curd is chilled, pour the curd into the pie shell and top off with fresh berries. Chill together completely before slicing and serving.