Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published August 11, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This traditional homemade Greek salad dressing recipe has the perfect amount of tang and fat to enhance the flavor of your next salad.
Salad dressing just makes the salad that much better, especially if it’s got a bunch of herbs and cheese in it. If you are looking to up your salad game, then definitely try out my Italian Dressing or Blue Cheese dressing.
Greek Salad Dressing
Greek salad dressing is a very simple emulsified vinaigrette that can be used as a meat marinade or to finish a Greek Salad with or even your favorite greens or pasta salad.
While there are some small nuances depending on where in Greece you are eating, here are the typical simple ingredients you will find in a classic Greek salad dressing:
- Red Wine Vinegar – A good strong red wine vinegar is proffered.
- Lemon – The juice of lemons will help make the dressing more citrusy.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Find a good imported dark extra virgin olive oil.
- Oregano – Typically dry oregano is used.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic in this dressing.
How to Make Greek Salad Dressing from Scratch
Follow these simple-to-make step-by-step instructions for making this tasty homemade Greek salad dressing from scratch:
Add the red wine vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper to a medium-sized bowl.
Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while vigorously and continuously whisking until the dressing has come together and is emulsified. Serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 3 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep at room temperature for up to 5 days. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
chef notes + tips
- Feel free to add a ¼ cup of crumbled feta cheese to the dressing.
- You make also substitute with fresh chopped oregano.
- I like to add a little sugar to the dressing to help break up some of the acidity.
- If you like a vinegary dressing then scale back on the amount of olive oil by ¼ cup.
More Dressing Recipes
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below!
Homemade Greek Dressing Recipe
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, Dijon mustard, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper to a medium size bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while vigorously and continuously whisking until the dressing has come together and is emulsified.
- Serve or cover and refrigerator until ready to serve.
I like to add a little sugar to the dressing to help break up some of the acidity. If you like a vinegary dressing then scale back on the amount of olive oil by ¼ cup.
My new best dressing!
My go-to dressing!! I always double the recipe so I know there is some in my refrigerator.
I put the ingredients into my WW app and it’s 2pts per serving.
Billy, I use a lot of evoo but making a salad dressing that will be refrigerated is an issue because it solidifies when putting it in the fridge. How can this be prevented?
Pull it out about 30-45 minutes before using and it will de-solidfy.