Football is a huge deal in my house every weekend! Whether it’s getting the food ready, inviting people over, or just watching the pregame sports networks to get hyped up, I love Football season! In fact, I get sad after the first game of the year because it’s 1 more week closer to the end of the season. All summer long I wait in anticipation to get to that opening weekend! Man I LOVE IT! My wife, not so much a huge fan of football, but a huge fan of hosting and entertaining and of course the opportunity to hang out with friends and family.
I try to change up what we eat every football game because I really don’t like repetition when it comes to food. I love changing things up all the time because 1 I like to eat so many different types of foods and 2 I want everyone else to experience something they don’t normally eat.
For my latest #KitchenQuarterback shindig, I put together a few quick bites that allow people to either sit down and enjoy or stand up and walk around the house to mingle with folks. I love dips to no end and there are so many different ones to create.
The dip I made was super easy and really just involved some cutting up of some fresh vegetables and piling’em high on my favorite classic hummus, Sabra. Their hummus is perfectly smooth and loaded with lemon, chickpea and tahini flavors that complimented my Greek style toppings to the T! Not to mention Sabra makes a family size which is essential when entertaining on game day. For the dip, I added on some chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions, feta cheese, black olives, Kalamata olives, cucumbers and banana peppers! This dip pairs perfect with Stacy’s Pita Chips! The recipe is below.
Greek Style Hummus
- 1 family size Sabra Classic Hummus
- ½ small diced cucumber
- ¼ cup of banana peppers
- ¼ cup of sliced black olives
- ¼ cup of sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 small diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup of feta cheese
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- Stacy's Pita Chips or Tostitos Tortilla Chips
- Layer on the cucumbers, peppers, olives, tomatoes, cheese and sliced green onions on top of the Sabra Classic Hummus inside of the container and serve along side Stacy's Pita Chips or Tostitos Tortilla Chips.
Of course decorating is huge when it comes to watching football. To me it’s like Christmas or Halloween, you have to be thematic! Wear your jerseys, decorate the table with ribbon of your team’s colors, or even serve everything on football napkins and plates.
Another great way to add some flare to your serving table is by putting on football decals! You can pick up a ton of stuff at a craft store and literally go nuts!
For the other food item, I served up the recent classic, Walking Tacos! I’m obsessed with this and so is my wife and daughter! In fact, they ask for it in the middle of the week and not just for the game, they are that good. You can make walking tacos as simple as you want or as fancy as you want. You could slow cook up some carnitas pork, or simply grill a chicken breast and serve it up, but 1 thing is essential and that’s the chips. You can use Doritos, Sun Chips, or traditional Fritos. All work and all provide different tasty flavors to enhance your walking nachos. Check out my recipe below!
- 12 assorted single serving bags of Doritos, Sun Chips, or Fritos.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ small diced yellow onion
- ½ small diced red bell pepper
- ½ small diced green bell pepper
- 1 ½ pounds of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cumin
- 3 small diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces of shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 head of shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 bunch of sliced green onions
- 1 bunch of chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan on high heat add in the olive oil and saute the onions and peppers for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Next, add in the beef, seasonings, salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat until the beef is cooked through out and there is no pink.
- Serve the spicy ground beef alongside the diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, sour cream and assorted single serving bags of Doritos, Sun Chips, or Fritos.
- To Plate: Place a small amount of ground beef, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced green onions, chopped cilantro and sour cream into a single serving bag of Doritos, Sun Chips, or Fritos and from there you are free to move about the homegate. Just remember to use a fork!
Last but not least you have to serve up some beverages and when it comes to food like this soda just makes sense! Whether it’s in cans or a 2-liter, Pepsi is hands down my favorite! It actually stems back from being a kid in Detroit and my grandma would always have a ton of them out in a refrigerator in her garage and I just loved swimming in her pool and drinking a Pepsi®. Ok I digress, back to football! I am really digging the Pepsi® with real sugar. It’s how it was made back in the day and man by the end of the first can, I was in love, definitely check it out! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my latest football party!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of PepsiCo. The opinions and text are all mine.