One of my favorite things to do as a chef is to feel inspired and to create, and I felt it all in this Healthy Breakfast Bowl Recipe with Toasted Hemp Hearts. If I owned a restaurant, and I still may one day, this will certainly be on the menu in some capacity. Talk about delicious flavor combinations!! From the hash browns to the turmeric mashed chickpeas to the whipped ricotta and poached eggs, DANG is this such a tasty treat. I’d be happy as a clam if I woke up to this beaut every morning I can tell you that.
There are obviously quite a few things going on in this dish, but I promise each one is so ridiculously easy to do that even the basic home cook can pull this off no problem! Also another note would be that if you want to remove some of the things like the chickpeas or chili oil, no problem you just do you and get rid of anything in this recipe that you may not like. If you keep it all, you will be blown away at the flavor combo.
I struggled to figure out what would be the base to this Healthy Breakfast Bowl Recipe with Toasted Hemp Hearts. Would it be hash browns? Would it be pita? So I decided to go with hash browns and to make the pita an accompaniment to it so you can rip a piece off and dip it into this Healthy Breakfast Bowl Recipe with Toasted Hemp Hearts. I was fortunate enough to go to a local organic farm and the lady was so nice to give us these gorgeous fresh organic eggs that let me tell you did not disappoint. They were so creamy I could have put 10 away no problem.
For the hash browns I simply grate some fresh Yukon potatoes, peelings on, and fried them up on my griddle. I know most folks probably won’t have a built in griddle on their stove but a griddle pan or a frying pan will work just the same. Cook them in a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Oh yeah, don’t forget to squeeze as much moisture out of them as possible before cooking. You’ll thank me later :-).
I knew before making this dish that I would have avocado in it, but I wanted a bit more green in the dish so I went with prosciutto wrapped and roasted asparagus. Bacon and eggs, get it :-). They had some pretty thin asparagus stalks so I wrapped prosciutto around 5 of them and they roasted up in only 10 minutes!
Now it’s time to mash up the chickpeas and make the chili oil. I know both sound crazy and even look crazy using the mortar and pestle, but I promise you it’s nothing. YOU GOT THIS!! If you wanted to cheat, throw it all in a blender. For the whipped ricotta, be sure to use whole milk ricotta and whip it with a whisk in a bowl or on high speed with the whisk attachment in a standing mixer with some lemon zest and a tad bit of honey!
Lastly to finish off this dish, simply toast up some Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Seed Hearts. They are beautiful, versatile and have the most delicious nutty flavor to them, especially after toasting them up. They are loaded with protein and the perfect ingredients to add to oatmeal, shakes, you name it!! To toast, simply put them in a sauté pan and cook them over low heat while stirring until they begin to turn a light brown.
Now, poach your eggs and put it all together! I layered it everything up, but you can certainly put everything side by side. Don’t forget to follow my good friends over at Bob’s Red Mill at their social links below:
Healthy Breakfast Bowl Recipe with Toasted Hemp Hearts
- 14 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 pounds of shredded Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 bunch of trimmed asparagus
- 10 slices of prosciutto ham
- 2 15- ounce cans of strained chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 16 ounces of whole milk ricotta
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup of Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Seed Hearts toasted
- Garnish with fresh dill leaves sliced avocado and Kalamata olives
- 8 poached eggs
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan or griddle on high heat with 3 tablespoons of olive oil sear the potatoes until golden brown and cooked through out. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Next, divide the asparagus into 10 stacks and wrap each of them in prosciutto ham. Coat them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper and place them on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and roast them in the oven at 400° for 120 to 12 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Using a large mortar and pestle mash the chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, turmeric, salt and pepper until smooth and slightly chunky. Set aside.
- Using a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the ricotta, lemon zest, honey and salt and pepper on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Keep cool.
- Using a small mortar and pestle mash the paprika, red pepper flakes and 6 tablespoons of olive oil until it is bright red. Set aside.
- To plate: Layer with hash browns, mashed turmeric chickpeas, whipped ricotta, chili oil and poached eggs. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Serve alongside roasted prosciutto asparagus bundles, sliced avocado, Kalamata olives and fresh dill leaves. Sprinkle the toasted hemp hearts over top.