Gumbo from Bayou Country
Be sure to try this Gumbo from Bayou Country Chef Billy Parisi style!
- 5 chicken breasts
- 8 ounces of unsalted butter
- 8 ounces of flour
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of finely minced garlic
- 2 finely minced yellow onions
- 5 finely minced stalks of celery
- 5 finely minced carrots
- 1 finely minced red bell pepper
- 1 finely minced green bell pepper
- 1 finely minced yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup of gumbo file
- 2 cups of sliced smoked sausage
- 1 gallon beef stock (optional shrimp stock)
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups of peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 cups crawfish meat
- 1 bag of frozen okra
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- Lea & Perrins to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- Kosher Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Season and grill chicken. Once cooked, small dice and set to the side.
- In a skillet on medium heat, combine flour and butter and make a dark roux, set aside.
- In a large soup pot on high heat, add in olive oil and saute vegetables. Add in gumbo file and cayenne. Cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Add in chicken, sausage and brown stock. Add in bay leaves.
- Once the soup is boiling add in roux to thicken. Once it is thick add in shrimp, craw meat, and okra. Adjust seasonings and serve with white rice and green onions. Enjoy!