I can’t tell you how much I enjoy trying new things and getting out of my comfort zone. I really like to take flavors that I know work well together but have no reason to be together and pair it up by twisting up a classic. Grilling up some Certified Angus Beef® brand New York Strips with a watermelon salsa (Yes believe it or not watermelon and grilled steak go amazingly well together) and pita was my crazy take on the traditional Greek Gyro. I got the idea for the rub on this steak from the Certified Angus Beef® website for Grilled Filet with Cumin and Coriander Paste. Using those few spices really adds an incredible kick to the steak and the watermelon salsa with fresh basil and feta compliments it so well.
Often people ask me what my favorite cut of meat is and by far it’s the Certified Angus Beef® brand New York strip. It has the perfect lean to fat ratio and provides amazing flavor and juiciness. It doesn’t matter if you grill it or sear it in a pan, once caramelized on the outside so the juices lock in the steak, there is nothing better in the world. The New York strip is a man’s steak! What I mean is, you can cut it big enough to feed any guy, goes excellent with cracked pepper and is perfect with or with out a sauce. It literally requires little thought to prepare and almost always it’s excellent. If you’ve got a steak crave that even cow bell won’t satisfy, it’s time to hook up some Certified Angus Beef® Brand New York Strips. Find restaurants or grocery stores that carry Certified Angus Beef® at www.certifiedangusbeef.com/buy/
Learn more from Certified Angus Beef® on Social Media:
Also, garnish this Grilled Strip Steak Recipe with Watermelon Salsa with some arugula!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Certified Angus Beef via Burst Media. The opinions and text are all mine.
- Two 12 ounce Certified Angus Beef® Brand New York Strip steaks
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 2 cups of medium diced fresh watermelon
- ½ small died red onion
- 1 seeded and small diced jalapeño
- juice of ½ lemon
- fresh chiffonade basil for garnish
- ¼ cup of Feta cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- warm Pita bread
- arugula for garnish
- In a large bowl combine the diced watermelon, red onion, jalapeño, juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper and keep cool.
- Next mix together on a plate the olive oil, cumin, coriander seeds, salt and pepper until completely combined. Coat the steaks on all sides with the oil and spice blend and place them on a hot grill (450 to 500°) for 4 to 6 minutes on each side to achieve a medium-rare internal temperature or until the desired internal temperature is achieved.
- Once the steaks are done cooking, remove from the heat and let rest on a cutting board or a plate for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.
- To Serve: Slice the steak and add a few spoonful’s of the watermelon salsa on top and garnish with the basil, feta cheese, arugula and side warm pita.