Grilled Hamburger with Homemade 1000 Island Dressing
Fix up this peppered and grilled hamburger with homemade 1000 island dressing and fire roasted grilled bacon.
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup
- 3 tablespoons of sweet relish
- Lea & Perrins to taste
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
For the Burger:
- 1 thinly sliced tomato
- 1 thinly sliced sweet onion
- 3 to 6 leaves of green leaf lettuce (can substitute for desired lettuce)
- 16 to 18 ounces of lean ground beef
- 3 to 6 slices of cheddar cheese
- 9 slices of bacon
- sesame buns
- Sauce: In a medium sized bowl whisk together mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, Lea and Perrins and salt and pepper. Once combined place in the refrigerator and keep cool.
- Burger: From the ground meat form 3 equal sized patties. Season on all sides with Kosher salt and season heavily on all sides with cracked black pepper. Next place the pattes on a very hot grill (450° to 550°). Cook for 4 to 6 minutes on each side to achieve a medium internal temperature. When you flip over the burgers to the other side, lay down the bacon on the grill as well. Be sure to move the bacon around because it will cook quickly. The bacon should be crispy and done cooking at the same time as the burgers. If you feel inclined, throw the onion rings on the grill at the same time as the burgers for a delicious caramelize onion flavor. In addition you can grill the bun if you like them toasted. Place the bun on the grill for 30 seconds to 1 minute to toast.
- To Plate: Place the burger patty on top of the bottom part of the sesame bun. On top of the burger patty goes cheese, bacon, special sauce, tomato, onion, lettuce and top of the bun. Serve along side fresh sliced fruit.