Hatch chiles only come in season for a short period of time towards the end of Summer. They come in hot or mild, but both aren’t too spicy as they rank in between 1,000 and 2,500 units on the Scoville meter, which is just hotter than a Poblano pepper. So roast those suckers up, along with some tomatillos and chimichurri sauce and you have one insanely delicious sauce for literally any fish, chicken, or meat dish. This Grilled Chicken Recipe with Hatch Chile Chimichurri Sauce came together in right under 40 minutes from start to finish. The hardest thing is grilling the chicken, which is pretty dang easy if you ask me. If for some reason you don’t have chicken in this Grilled Chicken Recipe with Hatch Chile Chimichurri Sauce, then try it with a grilled flank or skirt steak or use the chimichurri sauce as a salsa on tacos. If anything make the dang sauce 🙂
I got these cool little Mexican style serving dishes from Sur La Table and dang did they work out perfect!
Oh yeah, serve up this Grilled Chicken Recipe with Hatch Chile Chimichurri Sauce with a side of white long grain rice.
Grilled Chicken Recipe with Hatch Chile Chimichurri Sauce
- 2 split chicken breasts
- 3 to matillos skinned and cut in half
- 1 hatch pepper
- 1/2 finely minced sweet onion
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cups of cooked with rice
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Coat the tomatillos and peppers with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and roast on a hot grill until they begin to char. Once charred, remove from the grill and peel the tomatillos, scrape the char off the peppers, seed them and chop up along with the peppers and add to a large bowl along with the red wine vinegar, onions, garlic, parsley, cilantro, oregano, and whisk in 4 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Next, coat the chicken with 1 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cook on a hot grill until golden brown and cooked through out, about 20 minutes.
- Serve the chicken alongside the white rice and hatch pepper chimichurri sauce.