I’m all about mixing and matching up foods to make sure I keep my kitchen interesting, as well as the palettes of my family. Traditionally a fried chicken sandwich in the south is served up on a bun or perhaps buttery milk biscuit, however in Chicago I flipped the switch and paired it up with some homemade naan bread. Not only was the bread delicious, I decided to sprinkle on shed fresh grated sharp cheddar and sliced green onions. If you see where I’m goin with this, raise your hand! So while my creative juices were flowing, I made a ridiculously delicious Sriracha mayo for some more flavor than a Louisiana Hot Sauce could provide me. Then top it off with some crispy bacon, green leaf lettuce, Roma tomatoes, avocado and cilantro and boom one of the best flipping fried chicken sandwiches known to man kind… Well maybe not that good, but it’d be dang good enough to go on my menu… If I had a restaurant of course!
So about that homemade naan bread, it could not have been easier to make. It all starts with the quality of the flour, which is always, first class when using Bob’s Red Mill®. I’ve become much more conscious about my eating habits and the fact that they offer an organic version is simply amazing. Bob’s Red Mill® Unbleached White All Purpose Flour is unbromated white flour milled from certified organic, U.S.—grown wheat. It is not enriched with any additives, which gives me a little more comfort when serving up my family and friends the food I make.
The secret to making the best fried chicken known to man, is an incredibly seasoned flour as well as marinating the chicken in buttermilk and finely grated fresh garlic for 24 hours. It will be the juiciest most flavorful fried chicken you’ve ever eaten!
And on to the pictures! I made 4 of these things and they were gone in a matter of minutes thanks to the family getting home at the perfect time for lunch.
The naan bread by itself is so good and man am I happy I have plenty left over!
That’s right two big pictures for pinning!
Fried Chicken and Cheddar Scallion Naan Bread Sandwich
For the Chicken:
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 10 cloves of finely grated garlic
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill® Organic Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoons of paprika
For the Naan Bread:
- 2 ½ cups of Bob’s Red Mill® Organic Unbleached All Purpose Flour + more for dusting
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 ¼ cup of plain yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 4 ounces of melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup of thinly sliced fresh green onions
For the Sauce and Sides:
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- sliced Roma tomatoes
- green leaf lettuce
- sliced avocado
- crispy bacon strips
- cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Chicken: Place the chicken breasts, grated garlic and buttermilk in a plastic bag and marinate overnight.
- Mix together the flour, cornstarch, salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Next, remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge in the seasoned flour and deep fry in canola oil on 350° until golden brown and cooked throughout. Set aside on a paper towel to dry.
- Naan: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Form a well and pour the yogurt and oil into the center and mix together. Add the water if it is too dry.
- Next, cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Form 12 balls from the dough and roll them, one at a time before cooking.
- Place a small amount of melted butter in a medium sized sauté pan on medium low heat and add in a rolled out naan dough, cover with a lid and cook until bubbles begin to form. Next, flip the naan bread over and sprinkle on a little bit of cheese and green onions, and cover and cook for 1 minute. Remove and set aside on a towel.
- Sauce: In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Sriracha, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and set aside.
- To Plate: Place the naan bread cheddar and scallion side out and lay down 1 piece of green leaf lettuce, 1 piece of fried chicken, some sliced Roma tomatoes, crispy bacon, sliced avocado, cilantro leaves and Sriracha mayo.