French Onion Soup Recipe
Make this classic French Onion Soup Recipe that goes perfect for any cold Winter day!
- 8 thinly sliced yellow onions
- 6 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 ounces of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of red wine
- ½ gallon of chicken stock
- ½ gallon of beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of dry thyme
- 2 tablespoons of dry basil
- dry sherry to taste
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Lea and Perrins to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- In a large hour pot or rondeaux, melt the butter and caramelize the onions very well (can take up to an hour). Once caramelized add in the garlic and sweat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next, de-glaze with red wine and cook the amount of liquid until it is reduced by ½. Once reduced, add in the chicken and beef stock and cook until the amount of liquid is reduced by ⅓..
- Adjust the seasonings with Sherry, balsamic vinegar, salt, white pepper, Lea and Perrins and Tabasco.
- Garnish with croutons and Gruyere or Swiss cheese.