Get ready for the big game with these awesome homemade Football Pizza Pockets!
Start by making a homemade tomato sauce, which is incredibly easy and then roll out some pie dough, slice it with a knife in the shape of footballs and stuff away!
Place in a small amount of the cooled tomato sauce, some shredded mozzarella cheese, and the toppings are up to you. I used pepperoni and cooked Italian sausage. Brush around the toppings with a simple egg wash, place down another sliced piece of pie dough and press down around the outside using a fork. Lastly, brush the top of the dough with the egg wash and place on some small pieces of dough to resemble the football laces. There should be plenty of dough leftover after you roll it out and cut out your football shapes.
I served it up with a side of Ranch dressing and some leftover tomato sauce!
Football Pizza Pockets
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- two 15 ounce cans of Hunt’s® Diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 tablespoon of dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon of dry basil
- 1/2 cup of Hunt’s Tomato Paste
- 4 premade pie dough sheets rolled out to 1/8” thick and cut into 20 4” football shapes reserve the extra dough
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ pound of cooked loose Italian sauce
- 10 large slices of pepperoni
- 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of milk whisked together to make an egg wash
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 425°
In a medium size pot on high heat with olive oil add in the onions and garlic and saute for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
Next, add in the tomatoes and herbs and bring to a simmer.
Whisk in the tomato paste until the sauce becomes thick, and season with salt and pepper. Cool completely in the refrigerator.
Once the dough is rolled out and the football shapes have been created place a small amount of the tomato sauce in the center of a football shaped piece of dough. Add on a little shredded cheese and then some pepperoni slices or cooked Italian sausage.
Brush a small amount of the egg wash around the outside edge of the dough and place another piece of dough right on top pressing down around the edges.
Use a fork to press around the outsides to seal them.
Next, cut 4 thin strips per pizza pocket and form football like strings over the top of the pizza pocket.
Brush the entire pizza pocket with egg wash and place on a cookie sheet tray dusted with corn meal or sprayed with PAM® Original No-Stick Spray and bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Created on behalf of ConAgra Foods