Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 17, 2014. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Similar to my Mediterranean Pasta Recipe with Fresh Tomatoes when it comes time to get food on the table I want easy, delicious and tons of flavor. When I was making this recipe I had in mind that some of our dear friends were coming over to join us so I know I wanted to give’em something good. Not too mention it was hot out and I wanted something easy, not too heavy, and that was really tasty. I made a few other things in addition to this Easy Slow Cooked Chicken Tacos Recipe like a simple pico de gallo, guacamole and elotes which were all awesome. So instead of putting the chicken into a slow cooker, I popped’em in the oven for a bit and slow roasted’em for a more authentic flavor. Well with out further a do, let’s get to the recipe!
The great thing about tacos is getting creative and putting whatever you want in them. Would have been good with rice and beans, or perhaps even sour cream.
Oh and of course serve them with limes no matter what!
I usually keep guacamole chunky, but I decided to mush it up a bit this time!
Easy Slow Cooked Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28 ounce can of whole plum tomatoes and juice (feel free to rinse out the can with a little bit of water and add it in as well)
- 1 peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 3 mashed cloves of garlic
- 11 ounce can of mild sliced jalapeños, drained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- corn tortillas
- fresh cut limes
- Preheat the oven to 325° or a slow cooker to sear.
- season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a dutch oven or rondeau pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and wait until it begins to smoke lightly. You can do this same procedure in a slow cooker on the sear function.
- Place in the seasoned chicken breasts and cook them for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Add in all the ingredients except the limes and corn tortillas, and cook covered at 325° for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken pulls apart easily. Make sure to season everything with salt and pepper once it is in the pot as well. If slow cooking, cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken pulls apart.
- Once cooked, pull the chicken apart using 2 forks.
- Serve the shredded chicken on the corn tortillas with guacamole and pico de gallo.
- Alternatively serve them with rice, beans, cotija cheese and sour cream.