If you are a Southern tailgater in creole country than you know all about how important jambalaya is as a tailgate. Now here’s a recipe for you if you’ve got an early afternoon game and want to get out early to tailgate, Jambalaya Egg Burritos!
Pack your breakfast burrito full of spice, sausage, chicken and buttery scrambled eggs for an amazing tailgate recipe!
To prepare this at a tailgate, you’ll need a big pot and 1 cast iron skillet. Place the pans/pots on grill grates or on a portable burner.
You may not even need the eggs, because the jambalaya by itself is fantastic! You may fry up the eggs and put it right on top, shakshuka style :-).
Pin the picture below for your next tailgate.
Easy Jambalaya Breakfast Burrito Recipe
For the Jambalaya:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1” pieces
- 12 ounces of sliced andouille sausage
- 1 seeded and small diced green bell pepper
- 1 seeded and small diced red bell pepper
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 28 ounce can of Hunt’s® Diced Tomatoes undrained
- 2 cups of long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon of Creole seasoning
- Kosher salt to taste
For the Eggs:
- 12 eggs whisked with 1/3 cup of whole milk
- 12 12- inch flour tortillas
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups of shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- For the Jamabalaya: In a large pot on high heat with olive oil, add in the chicken and cook until they are golden brown and cooked through out. Next, add in the sausage, peppers, onion and celery and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour in the Hunt’s® Tomatoes and juice and refill it with water and pour it in the pot as well.
- Stir in the rice, seasonings, and salt, and place a lid on the pot and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until the rice is done. Keep warm.
- For the Eggs: Spray a large cast iron skillet with PAM® Cooking Spray and cook the eggs until they are scrambled by using a rubber spatula and moving the eggs back and forth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To Make: Place 1 cup of cooked jambalaya into the center of a tortilla along with some scrambled eggs and smoked Cheddar cheese and roll it up.