SOIGNE is back and in a big way kicking things off with this Curry Chicken and Chickpea Stew with Cracked Wheat recipe. If you’ve followed me for quite some time you will immediately be able to read into my undying love for all things soups and stews. Living through long over stayed winters in Chicago means bringing a little comfort through hearty soups. I like to really get creative and change things up as it relates to soups. Some weeks it’s Asian, some weeks it’s Mexican and others it’s just good old fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup. I’ve been craving a bit of curry lately so I decided to crank out this Curry Chicken and Chickpea Stew with Cracked Wheat. The cracked wheat was essential to this recipe because it added another layer of flavor and body to the recipe.
Bob’s Red Mill® Cracked Wheat hot cereal was perfect for this. Whole grain wheat delivers a healthy dose of protein, dietary fiber and is a great source of calcium and iron, all of which work together to keep your body strong and healthy. Whole wheat is also a good source of folate, which helps with cell production and is especially critical for pregnant women and infants. I liked the creaminess of this particular cracked wheat, which helped make the soup thick. You’ll also notice in the video that I cooked the cracked wheat separate, this helps form keeping the soup to be like porridge and ensures it gets cooked.
Of course always a nice big picture for your to pin below!
Curry Chicken and Chickpea Stew with Cracked Wheat
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill® Cracked Wheat Hot Cereal
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 2 seeded and small diced yellow bell pepper
- 3 cloves of finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of finely minced fresh ginger
- 3 ounces of red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of fish sauce
- 1 chopped rotisserie chicken skin and bones removed
- 4 cans of chickpeas strained and rinsed
- 2 quarts of chicken stock
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Add 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt to a medium sized pot and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, stir in the cracked wheat, turn down the heat to a low simmer and put a lid on and cook for 25 minutes.
- In a large pot with coconut oil on high heat, add in the onion, peppers, garlic and ginger and sauté until caramelized.
- Once brown, mix in the curry paste and pince. Once the vegetables are to a nice rust color, stir in the brown sugar, soy and fish sauce.
- Next add in the chopped chicken, chickpeas, cooked cracked wheat and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Finish the soup with coconut milk, salt and pepper. Note: if you desire a thicker soup mix together ½ cup of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water and whisk the mixture into the soup.
- Garnish the soup with fresh lime wedges and cilantro. Serve alongside fresh naan bread.