Back in the hills of Missouri, where I went to college we used to eat this amazing breakfast called “The Stretch.” It is a layered dish with potatoes, chili, eggs, cheese and onions. Well I did some of that, but of course with my own twist in these Chili Huevos Rancheros.
Of course I had to add bacon, a homemade restaurant style salsa and avocado to the mix.
If you are looking for the ultimate early morning tailgate food then this is it, no questions asked!
Everything in this dish can be made right on the grill, just bring a pot for the Wolf® Chili and for the eggs, everything else, including the bacon, goes right on the grill!
Big guy below for Pinterest!
Chili Huevos Rancheros with Bacon and Salsa Fresca
- Two 10 ounce cans of Original RO*TEL® undrained
- ½ small diced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro leaves divided in half
- 8 6- inch corn tortillas
- 15 ounce can of Wolf® Brand Chili with Beans heated
- 12 strips of cooked crisp bacon
- 8 fried eggs to your desired doneness can make them scrambled also
- 2 cups of shredded smoked mozzarella
- 1 medium diced avocado
- ½ cup of sliced green onions
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a blender add the RO*TEL®, sweet onions, vinegar, sugar, ½ cup of cilantro leaves, salt and pepper and pulse 4 to 6 times on high speed until slightly chunky. Keep cool.
- To Assemble: Heat the tortillas on a grill or in the oven on high heat and layer them as followed: 1 tortilla, 2 tablespoons of Wolf® Brand Chili, 1 tortilla, 2 more tablespoons of Wolf® Chili, 3 strips of crisp bacon, 2 fried eggs, ½ cup of shredded mozzarella, 2 tablespoons of avocado, 2 tablespoons of green onions and 2 tablespoons of cilantro.