Chickpeas, bacon, tomatoes, shrimp, seriously need I say more? Oh yeah WINE! This Chickpea Soup with Grilled Shrimp Recipe is really REALLY tasty and it is a cinch to make. It’s a nice thick soup which makes it great for dipping the grilled shrimp into it and eating, or even spreading the soup on some bread. I know that I usually only promote soups in the winter but this is a really nice soup to make in the summer, especially when tomatoes are in season and you can fire up that grill without digging through the snow to get there. I snapped a few pictures of it below and of course watch the video above for step-by-step instructions and some additional information on the wine I paired up with it.
Chickpea Soup from above…
chickpea soup with grill shrimp a littler closer in, and…
all up in the grilled shrimps business!
Chickpea Soup with Grilled Shrimp Recipe
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1/2 small diced red onion
- 1 peeled and cubed potato
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh sage
- 2 chopped bacon strips
- two 15 ounce cans of strained canned chickpeas
- 2 cups of can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 8 large shrimp
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper and ground white pepper to taste
- In a large pot, caramelize the bacon until crispy. Once brown remove the pot and add in onions and garlic and caramelize. Once brown add in potatoes, chickpeas, tomatoes and stock and cook for 20 minutes. Next, add back in the bacon and puree using a hand blender. Finish with fresh sage, salt and ground white pepper.
- Next, toss shrimp in olive oil, salt and cracked black pepper. Grill the shrimp on high heat until cooked through.
- Serve the soup with the grilled shrimp on top and with a glass of Da Vinci Pinot Grigio.