Beer Can Chicken with Corona and Mexican Spices
This Beer Can Chicken with Corona and Mexican Spices recipe is a must try!
For the Chicken:
- one 4 to 5 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 6 whole limes
- ¼ rough chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 can of Corona beer
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Mexican Spices:
- 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- Be sure to remove the giblets from the chicken and wash it inside and out and pat dry with at towel.
- Rub the chicken down completely with the butter and then rub it down completely (including the cavity) with ¼ cup to ⅓ cup of the Mexican spice blend
- Next rub the chicken down with the chopped garlic and finish rubbing the chicken with the juice of 1 lime
- Cut 2 limes in half and stuff them inside the chicken cavity along with the sweet onions.
- Pop one can of Corona or Latin beer and carefully place the cavity of the chicken on top of it taking care that the limes and onions do not come out.
- Place the beer chicken on a grill on high heat. Make sure that there is no direct heat underneath the chicken so that it only gets cooked by surrounding indirect heat inside the grill. It will take 90 to 120 minutes on high heat for the chicken to completely cook.
- After the chicken is placed on the grill mix together the juice of 3 limes, honey and olive oil and baste the chicken with the lime-honey mixture every 20 to 25 minutes until the chicken is finished.
- Before serving remove the beer and halved limes and onions. Enjoy!