I’m not sure there is anything we as a family eat more than ice cream, and because July is Ice Cream Month, we’ve decided to celebrate it in its entirety with some good old fashioned homemade banana splits! I’m all for changing and twisting up the classics, but some need no tweaks whatsoever, and in this case the banana split is dang near perfect! While I suppose you could change up the ice cream flavors in a banana split – because there are so many delicious kinds in the frozen food aisle – I kept it traditional with chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. There are also so many amazing brands to chose from in the ice cream section of the frozen food aisle, like my personal favorites, Graeter’s, Kemps or Blue Bunny.
The only way to make a banana split even better is by stuffing it in a mason jar so that with every bite, you get every single flavor. If you’re unfamiliar with a traditional banana split, the ingredients include: vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice creams, pineapple chunks, peanuts, cherries, chocolate syrup, whipped cream and bananas. I took the liberty of swapping out fresh bananas for a local Chicago favorite, Diana’s Bananas, because why wouldn’t a chocolate-covered banana be better than a plain one? Diana’s Bananas makes whole bananas covered in milk and dark chocolate or in mini bite size pieces, which my daughter loves.
I know this may sound crazy, but I don’t know why we don’t buy even more ice cream that we already do from the grocery store. It is SO much cheaper to buy ice cream at the store than going out for it. I now make it a point every week in my shopping to get a few pints to help save some money and so that I can try out new tasty frozen treats!
To make sure you get some chocolate syrup on every bite, drizzle some on the inside of the jars before putting in the ice cream. It’ll also make it look good!
Bananas splits are also awesome to serve up at a party. Even though it’s a traditional recipe, it’s something that you don’t usually make, so serving it up or having it set up as a bar would be a great way to spice up your next party.
Banana Split Stuffed Mason Jar
- 1 scoop each of Kemp’s® chocolate strawberry and vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons of pineapple chunks
- 3 sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of roasted and salted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup
- ½ cup of Cool Whip
- 1 milk chocolate Diana’s Banana
- 2 maraschino cherries
- Drizzle the chocolate syrup onto the sides of the inside of a mason jar.
- Layer as follow: chocolate ice cream, pineapple chunks, strawberry ice cream, sliced strawberries, vanilla ice cream, peanuts, whipped cream and then the cherries.
- Stick the Diana’s Banana into the top of the ice cream and serve.