These deliciously easy to make apple cranberry muffins are the perfect way to start off your day.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of the NFRA. The opinions and text are all mine.
Breakfast is always a challenge, especially during the middle of the week when time is limited because of school. My goal is to always have something relatively nutritious, easy to make and kid-friendly for my daughter, and these apple cranberry muffins were perfect.
Maybe it’s just me, but it’s amazing how picky kids are these days. It’s like I’m making 2 different meals for every breakfast, lunch, and dinner to make everyone happy. There were 2 choices when I grew up, take it or leave it! I was not allowed to say I didn’t like something unless I tried it first. As a chef, I know when my daughter gets older, she’ll regret missing out on all this delicious food her daddy was making.
Since breakfast is so quick, I’m always looking for great easy to make recipes for my daughter to eat, and bonus if it can be made ahead of time. These apple cranberry muffins actually were able to hit all the nails on the head. With apples in peak season and Cape Cod Select frozen cranberries, which are always in season, this kid-friendly recipe came together in no time and is nothing short of delicious.
When it comes to making the batter for these apple cranberry muffins you simply begin by shredding the apples, which is a far better way to integrate them into the muffins then big cut up chunks. From there you whisk in all the wet ingredients, mix in the dry ingredients and then fold in the cranberries. It’s important to fold in the cranberries because you don’t want them to burst.
To me, the best part about these apple cranberry muffins, or any muffins in general, is the oatmeal streusel that goes over the top. I’m not sure there is an easier to make a recipe that can help elevate a dish to the next level than a streusel. It’s just so delicious and perfect when finishing off these apple cranberry muffins.
Apple Cranberry Muffins Recipe
For the Muffins:
- 2 peeled shredded fuji apples
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
For the Oatmeal topping:
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Muffins: Add the apples, eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla, and sugars to a large bowl and whisk until combined.
- Next, add in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix until combined.
- Fold in the cranberries until mixed in.
- Evenly distribute the batter between a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Oatmeal Topping: Add all of the ingredients to a medium-size bowl and using a pastry knife or fork cut in the butter until it is the size of rice and mixed in with the other ingredients.
- Evenly sprinkle on the oatmeal topping amongst the 12 muffins in the tin.
- Bake in the oven at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until firm in the center.
- Cool to room temperature and serve!