I partnered with Cobblestone Bread Co. to create this post! Enjoy!
Call me an overachiever but it when it comes to eating anything I always want choices, so that’s the reason for this The Ultimate Chicken Club Sandwich and Chicken Melt Recipe. I thought I’d take the time to use almost the same ingredients to make a beefed up chicken club and then totally change things up and make a chicken melt recipe. Not only do I like being able to have options, my wife and daughter really appreciate it because often times they don’t like all the things that I do, so it’s important to be able to make a few different things utilizing the same ingredients. No matter what kind of variation of sandwich I’m creating, Cobblestone Bread Co. always has the bread to stand up to everything I want to throw in it while providing a rich bakery-style like feel to it.
Regardless of which sandwich you want, it all starts with marinating some boneless skinless chicken breasts overnight. Sure you can marinate for 30 minutes or so, but if you want tons of delicious flavor then you really have to marinate it overnight. I used a combination of dry oregano, dry basil, finely minced fresh garlic and extra virgin olive oil. You can absolutely change this marinade up by adding in some sort of acid, like lemon juice or vinegar, or feel free to change up the herbs a bit to get the desired flavors you’re looking for or enjoy. After the marinating process is over it is essential to remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and season both sides with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. While all of the herbs and garlic in the marinade provide a lot of flavor it can still have a bland taste without salt and pepper.
From there it’s as easy as sautéing up the chicken until golden brown and finishing it in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until it’s cooked in the center. Remember with chicken there should be no pink in it. Be sure to rest the chicken for a few minutes before thinly slicing it.
Now that the chicken is out of the way we can focus on all of the delicious toppings we want to put on The Ultimate Chicken Club Sandwich and Chicken Melt Recipe. Both sandwiches are going to use the same spread on it, which is a really tasty sun dried tomato basil and Asiago mayonnaise. I always make extra of this mayo because it’s so good and I put it on sandwiches I make all week long :-). To really elevate the flavor of this sandwich I made my world famous balsamic onions. Ok they aren’t world famous, but everyone that eats them absolutely loves them, even if they don’t like onions. Simply whisk some balsamic vinegar together with some olive oil and sugar and baste some sliced onions every 5 minutes while they roast in the oven for a total of 30 minutes. You want flavor??? These onions will blow your mind by just how tasty they are, and not too mention they go amazing on a sandwich or burger.
For the club sandwich I pile it high with mashed avocado, ham, bacon, butter leaf lettuce, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and micro greens, of course in addition to the chicken, onions, and mayonnaise spread. The chicken melt has mozzarella, chicken, bacon, Canadian bacon, onions and mayonnaise spread. I wanted to make the chicken melt a little meatier so the Canadian bacon added some more girth to this ultimate deliciousness. While both of these beasts of a sandwich are big boy sandwiches, I tend to favor the chicken melt because it’s extra cheesy and gooey.
One of the most important aspects of any sandwich is the bread. For me bread should be used to complement the rest of the sandwich with its flavor and its ability to stay intact no matter what you put on it. There is nothing worse than sandwich bread that falls apart, nothing! I can always count on Cobblestone Bread Co. to deliver superior taste and quality while being strong enough to handle even the manliest of sandwiches I want to create. While they have a superior selection of flavors, from rye to 12 grain, and tons of others, I really like their Million Dollar White. Making sandwiches on traditional white bread is nostalgic for me as it reminds me of eating lunches with my dad, and now I get to relive those with a more gourmet hook these days. The Million Dollar White literally makes the perfect toast, eaten at the dinner table with butter spread on it, French toast and of course a great tasting sandwich. If you are looking to up your sandwich game then look no further than this The Ultimate Chicken Club Sandwich and Chicken Melt Recipe.
Be sure to follow Cobblestone Bread Co. at cobblestonebreadco.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cobblestonebreadco
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CBCbreads
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/CBCbreads
- Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/cbcbreads/
- 2 tablespoons of dry basil
- 1 tablespoon of dry oregano
- 5 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 peeled and sliced red onion
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- ½ cup of shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup of julienne sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 loaf of Cobblestone Bread Co. Million Dollar White
- 1 pound of cooked crisp bacon
- ½ pound of deli sliced ham
- ½ pound of sliced and cooked Canadian bacon ham
- 6 leaves of butter leaf lettuce
- 4 thinly sliced vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 peeled and seeded mashed avocados
- 1 pound of sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of microgreens
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Chicken: Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and season them on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a very large frying pan over medium-high heat and add in the chicken breasts. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or golden brown and then flip the chicken over and add the pan to the oven and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and cooked throughout. Rest for 2 to 3 minutes on a cutting board before slicing.
- Onions: Place the onions on a sheet tray and place in the oven at 375° for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and sugar and baste the onions using a brush every 5 minutes. Remove the onions once they are done cooking.
- Spread: Whisk together the mayonnaise, Asiago cheese, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, sun dried tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper until combined. Cool before serving.
- Chicken Club Assembly: Toast 3 pieces of Cobblestone Million Dollar White bread and layer the sandwich as followed: mozzarella cheese, sliced chicken breasts, balsamic onions, lettuce, tomato, toast, mashed avocado, bacon, ham, micro greens, spread, toast.
- Chicken Melt Assembly: Place the slices of Million Dollar White bread on a griddle. Once brown flip over and add cheese to each slices. Layer on as followed: bacon, Canadian bacon, sliced chicken breasts, onions, and spread and place on the other sliced of toasted cheese melted bread.